Monday, July 2, 2007

insert clever title here

to those of you who are roller derby aficionados, i recently attended bout # 2 of the angel city derby girls season. it is definitely different than the L.A. Derby Dolls that i know and love, but it was entertaining nonetheless. don't get me wrong, i am not knocking these women one bit. they go out there and skate just as hard and care about their sport just as much. the differences arise from the tracks. the angel city girls don't reach the same breakneck speeds as the dolls due to the fact that they skate on a flat surface. and there doesn't seem to be as much hitting because skaters constantly flutter outside the lines to dodge someone. the dolls on the other hand, can ramp up the speed on their banked track, and there is nowhere to dodge when you you have a rail around the perimeter of the track. of course I'm biased, I'll always believe that "my" derby dolls are faster, meaner, stronger, and more beautiful than any other leagues girls, but that won't stop me from supporting other leagues as well. after all, the angel city girls always show up at the dolls events, the least i can do is turn the other cheek. really when it comes down to it, as long as they'll skate, we should support them. they are my people, the ones who fly in the face of convention. the ones who say "fuck society. I'm going to find a way to look how i want, live how i want, and do what i love. I'm going to make it work and you can't stop me." and more power to them!