Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sake wisdom?

At different times in my life, I have found that I possess a certain amount of moral ambiguity. That is to say, I have been flexible enough with the standards that should be the very core of your being, to do what was necessary to survive and sometimes even thrive in less than ideal conditions. This has had certain negative consequences in my life for sure, but life is a balancing act, and sometimes you have to play the "cards" you're dealt and deal with the cost after the fact. On the whole I have been willing to embrace my failings in life and pay the price for my many shortcomings, yet every now and then a situation presents itself that makes me wonder how much I have given up and how far gone I am.
For instance, my very considerate neighbor in one of the adjoining buildings recently got a puppy. All baby animals need some amount of training, nurturing, and patience to become the "valued members of our families" that they will one day be. I understand and accept that my neighbor's puppy will have "growing pains" and sometimes I will have to deal with them, as I am within barking, pooping, and peeing on my tires range of said animal. yet after four days of this animal being left out on the neighbor's balcony to shriek (and that is the only word for what this animal does) in misery, the first thought that popped into my head was: "if you're not going to care for the animal why don't you just euthanize the damn thing". I happen to like animals ,so the fact that I skipped right over all of the, you need to care for your animal better, thoughts and went immediately to the, you need to get rid of that thing, thoughts is rather disturbing to me. I mean I'm no P.E.T.A., bleeding heart, don't eat cows, activist, but I'd like to think I'm a decent man, yet there I was wishing ill upon a poor helpless, lonely animal whose only fault was to be upset over it's predicament, and rightfully so I might add. Does the fact that I went right to thoughts of euthanizing mean that I have slipped way farther than I had hoped? Or perhaps all I can do is hope that the fact that I can take a step back from the situation, albeit a day later, and look at it from a different point of view means my moral compass isn't to f^#ked up. Well life's answers aren't always black and white, so maybe I'll find what I'm looking for at the bottom of this blue bottle of Sake. So tilt those glasses back kids, and here's hoping a poor sinner hasn't sunk to far!

No comments: